doctor Find a doctor


Medical Initial Limited License Packets

Complete one of these if this will be your first license application in Massachusetts.

Medical Limited Change of Program Packet (PDF)
Complete if you are currently on a Massachusetts limited license or have ever held a Massachusetts limited license and will be entering a new training program.

Medical Licensure FAQ for incoming Interns, Residents and Fellows

Can my Associate Program Director or Chief complete the Evaluation Form?
Yes, if your current/previous Program Director is not available to complete the Evaluation Form a Section Chief or Associate Program Director can complete the form. Other faculty, advisors or staff cannot complete the form.

CV Format, how far back do I need to go? What is considered a gap? What if I took a summer off between college and medical school?
CV’s should be written in CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER, starting with the most recent activity, include month/year of start and month/year of end of each activity, and must go back to the day that you entered college. The MA Medical Board considers anything over 30-days to be a “gap” and all gaps must be accounted for, they are very strict on the gap policy. If you took a summer off as vacation and did not work, simply write that in “June 2012 – Sept 2012 VACATION”.
You must also include your upcoming training program at Boston Medical Center on your CV.

Do I have to provide the ECFMG certificate and status to the department or directly to the Board?
ECFMG certificate must be notarized and must be sent directly to the program at BMC.
ECFMG Status report must be sent directly to the MA Medical Board. Please note that the status report is available for a limited time after you submit the request. It is recommended that you wait for your program office to alert you that the application is on it's way to the MA Medical Board before you purchase the status report.

Do I need to have passed both USMLE Step 2 [CK & CS] and if so, is an email copy ok to submit with application?
The MA Medical Board requires that you pass USMLE Step 1, Step 2 CK & Step 2 CS before a license will be issued to you.

USMLE transcripts can be submitted two ways:

  • A print out from their ERAS application (this must show passing marks for Step 1, Step 2CK & Step 2CS)
  • An official transcript from the FSMB in a sealed envelope

For a Change of Program Application what is considered "previous training" for questions 5A & 5C?Previous training on this application refers to all training that has been done prior to date you enter your new training program, so yes this includes your current program. Question 5C reads “Did you complete your previous training program(s)?” – This question should be read as “Will you complete your previous/current program before entering your next training program?”

FORM B – Does my Medical School send this in as soon as I have completed school or wait until after I have graduated?
FORM B should be submitted after you have graduated from Medical School.

How can I check the status of my license application?
Call your program office to check on the status of your license application, DO NOT, under any circumstances call the Mass Medical Board.

How do I find a US notary if I am currently outside of the US?
All Notaries must be US Notaries, if you are outside the country please check with your local consulate to see if they can provide you with a notary.

I have/had a Full MA Medical Licenses, can I now apply for a limited license with my training program?
No. Once you obtain a Full Medical License in MA you cannot return to a limited license.
If you have a Full Medical License in another state, you can still apply for a MA limited license.

I want to double-side my application to cut down on paper usage.
The Mass Medical Board will not accept your application double sided, DO NOT do this.

My transcripts are in my home language. What does the MA Medical Board require?
All non-English documents must be translated. Translations are accepted only in one of the two following ways: (1) translated by the medical school, translations and original documents must be submitted and each page much have the school seal, (2) translated by a company based in the United States.

Should I apply for a limited license or a full license?
The only reason you would apply for a Full Medical License during your training program is to moonlight or some specialty boards may require you to have a full license before you can take the board examination (check with your program coordinator). You should speak with your Program Director and Coordinator to see if moonlighting is allowed in your program, and also review the BMC Policy for residents/fellows with Full Medical Licenses (posted on the top of this page) before applying for a Full Medical License.

What do I do once my application is completed?
All completed materials need to be mailed directly to your Program Coordinator, nothing should be mailed to the Mass Medical Board.

What is Federation Credentials Verification Service (FCVS)?
In order to use FCVS for primary source verifications you will need to already have an FCVS profile created. If you plan to use FCVS for submission of your license applicatio to the MA Medical Board, you will need to make syre that you send the e-file directly to the MA Medical Board, and they will download directly from FCVS.
Please note that the e-file is available for a limited time after you submit the request. It is recommended that you wait for your program office to alert you that the application is on it's way to the MA Medical Board before you submit the e-file request online.
FCVS obtains primary-source verification of medical education, postgraduate training, examination history, board action history, board certification and identity. This repository of information allows a physician and/or physician assistant to establish a confidential, lifetime professional portfolio with FCVS which can be forwarded, at the applicant's request, to any state medical and osteopathic board that has established an agreement with FCVS, hospital, health care or other entity.

Where do I get the license application forms?
Download the applications posted on the top of this website.

Why do I need to submit everything in one package, as long as everything is in sealed envelopes with signature across the seal?
You can submit items in piecemeal, or in one packet. This is up to how your program wants to receive the information. We highly suggest organizing the information into one packet to assure that no materials are misplaced.

Will a copy of my medical school diploma upon graduation be required to process the application?
These are required but only for non-USA and non-Canadian medical school graduates. All other medical school graduates must provide either (1) a notarized copy or (2) a copy directly from the medical school with official school seal on it.

Will I get my certificates back once I submit them?
No, the only forms returned from the MA Medical Board are original marriage certificates. And they will only return these if notified upfront that the applicant wishes them returned and provided with a self-addressed and stamped envelope to return them in.