The Center for Voice and Swallowing offers a wide array of evaluation and treatment options for patients with various voice and swallowing disorders including vocal cord paralysis, spasmodic dysphonia, acid reflux, vocal polyps and cysts, sulcus vocalis and vocal scarring, as well as singer's nodules and other disorders of the professional voice. The Center also offers diagnostic and treatment options for papillomas and early stage larynx cancer, and for swallowing and voice problems due to Parkinson's disease, stroke and other neurological disorders.
This state-of-the-art voice center provides the full scope of diagnostic testing including:
- Acoustic Analysis
- A variety of in-office laryngeal procedures
The swallowing center provides comprehensive swallowing evaluation including:
Performers generally look upon vocal problems with dread. There are few things worse than having to walk in front of an audience with the fear that your voice may not function properly. A routine examination by a voice care team can often make the difference between a successful performance and a canceled one.
The Voice Treatment Program at the Boston Medical Center specializes in state-of-the-art diagnostic and therapeutic services to individuals of all ages who present with a variety of voice disorders. The patients of the voice treatment program include professional and non-professional singers, public speakers, teachers, clergy, attorneys, sales associates and actors.
Seeing a doctor when something is wrong is important before a minor issue becomes a major one.
A voice screening can help:
- Determine the presence of a potential laryngeal pathology.
- Determine a risk for throat problems.
- Provide a baseline image of a healthy larynx to use as a source of comparison if you experience voice problems in the future.
- Provide education on the normal functioning of the larynx to understand how the voice works, how to control it and to prolong and enhance your career as a professional voice user.
- Identify habits for optimal vocal use to help you meet the demands of your lifestyle.
In Office Therapies
A number of in-office therapies are available. These include:
- Used for spasmodic dysphonia and sialorrhea.
- Used for papilloma, dysplasia, and other vascular lesions of the larynx.
- Swallowing and voice therapy (including singing voice therapy) is provided by speech-language pathologists with expertise in these areas.
If needed, we provide state-of-the-art, minimally invasive surgical interventions. This could be vocal cord augmentation for the paralyzed vocal cord, and endoscopic laser removal of early cancers of the larynx.
In addition to providing the above comprehensive care, we pride ourselves on ease of scheduling and fast access to appointments. Whether a patient comes to us as a professional singer or professional who relies on their voice or has an urgent swallowing disorder, our staff can see them in a matter of hours to days.
To refer a patient for facial plastic surgery please call 617.414.5058