The Breastfeeding Center is one of the most prominent breastfeeding research centers in the United States. Our researchers haves published many papers in academic journals including the Journal of Human Lactation, Pediatrics, American Dietetic Association, Clinical Endocrinology, Pediatric Clinics of North America, Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine and the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
We are currently analyzing data from a 4-year prospective cohort study, funded by the USDA, on weight change in week 1 of life and associated weight for length at 2 years.
- Burnham, L., Matlak, S., Makrigiorgos, G., Braun, N., Knapp, B. P., & Merewood, A. (2015). Breastfeeding and Coffee Consumption in Children Younger than 2 Years in Boston, Massachusetts, USA. Journal of Human Lactation
- Burnham, L., Merewood, A., Torjman, M., Chen, N., Grossman, X., Matlak, S., & Feldman-Winter, L. (2015). Infant Weight Gain in Week 1 and Body Mass Index at Age 2: A Prospective Cohort Study in an Urban Population.The FASEB Journal, 29(1 Supplement), 901-21.
- Karol, Susan, et al. "Bringing Baby-Friendly to the Indian Health Service A Systemwide Approach to Implementation." Journal of Human Lactation(2015)
- Merewood, Anne. "Baby-Friendly and the Indian Health Service A New Standard of Care." Journal of Human Lactation (2015)
- Castellanos-Rizaldos E, Milbury C, Karatza E, Chen C, Makrigiorgos G, Merewood A. COLD-PCR amplification of bisulfite-1 converted DNA allows the enrichment and sequencing of rare un-methylated genomic regions. PLOS ONE, 2014; (9)4 e94103
- Burnham L, Buzcek M, Braun N, Feldman-Winter L, Chen N, Merewood A. Determining the Length of Breastfeeding Exclusivity: Validity of Maternal Report 2 Years after Birth. J Hum Lact, 2014;(30)2
- Armstrong J, Abraham EC, Squair M, Brogan M, Merewood A. Exclusive breastfeeding, complementary feeding and food choices in UK infants. J Hum Lact 2014; 30(2)
- Sadacharan R, Grossman X, Matlak S, Merewood A. Hospital Discharge Bags and Breastfeeding at 6 Months: Data from the Infant Feeding Practices Study II. J Hum Lact 2014; 30(1)
- Parker M, Burnham L, Cook J, Sanchez E, Philipp BL. Merewood A. Ten years after Baby-Friendly Designation: Breastfeeding rates continue to increase in a U.S. Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. J Hum Lact 2013; 29(3)
- Coit J, Grossman X, Buczek M, Feldman-Winter L, Merewood A. Introducing solid foods: Accuracy of report among mothers who do not adhere to recommended US guidelines. J Hum Lact 2012; 28(4)
- Feldman-Winter L, Procaccini D, Merewood A. A Model Infant Feeding Policy for Baby-Friendly Designation in the USA.
J Hum Lact 2012; 28(3) 304- 11
- Feldman-Winter L, Grossman X, Palaniappan A, Kadokura E, Hunter K, Milcarek B, Merewood A. Removal of industry-sponsored formula sample packs from the hospital: Does it make a difference? J Hum Lact 2012; 380-88
- Sadacharan R, Santana S, Sanchez E, Matlak S, Grossman X, Makrigiorgos G, Merewood A . Are you Baby-Friendly? Knowledge deficit among US maternity staff. J Hum Lac 2012; 28(3) 359-62
- Grossman X, Chaudhuri J, Feldman-Winter L, Merewood A. Neonatal weight loss at a US Baby-Friendly hospital. JAND 2012; 11(3)
- Merewood A, Grossman X, Mehta SD, Chen T, Mathieu J, Holick MF, Bauchner H. Vitamin D status among 4 month old infants in New England: A prospective cohort study. J Hum Lact. 2012; 28(2):159-66
- Sadacharan R, Grossman X, Sanchez E, Merewood A. Trends in US hospital distribution of infant formula sample packs. Pediatrics 2011;128(4):702-5
- Makrigiorgos G, Santana S, Sanchez E, Sadacharhan R, Stuebe A, Merewood A. A national website to track hospital discontinuation of formula sample pack distribution: Accuracy of self-report. Letter to the Editor. J Hum Lact 2011; 27(2):113
- Merewood A, Philipp BL. The price of saying no to free formula. Journal of Human Lactation. 2000;16(4):279-282
- Merewood A, Philipp BL. Implementing change: Becoming Baby-Friendly in an inner city hospital. Birth. 2001;28(1)
- Philipp BL, Merewood A, Miller LW, et al. The Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative improves breastfeeding rates in a US hospital setting. Pediatrics. 2001;108(3):677-681
- Merewood A, Philipp BL. Peer counselors for breastfeeding women in the hospital setting: Trials, training, tributes and tribulations. J Hum Lact. 2003;19(1):72-76
- Merewood A, Philipp BL, Chawla N, Cimo S. The Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative increases breastfeeding initiation rates in a US NICU. J Hum Lact. 2003;19(2):166-71
- Philipp BL, Malone K, Cimo S, Merewood A. Sustained breastfeeding initiation rates at a US Baby-Friendly Hospital. Pediatrics 2003;112(3): e234-36
- Merewood A, Philipp BL. Promoting breastfeeding in an inner-city hospital: How to address concerns of the maternity staff regarding illicit drug use. J Hum Lact 2003;19(4):418-20
- Philipp BL, Merewood A, Gerendas EJ, Bauchner H. Breastfeeding information in pediatric textbooks needs improvement. J Hum Lact 2004; 20(2) 206-10
- Philipp BL, Merewood A. The Baby-Friendly way: the best breastfeeding start. Ped Clin N. Am. 2004;51(3):761-783.
- Merewood A, Heinig MJ. Efforts to promote breastfeeding in the US: Development of a National Breastfeeding Awareness Campaign. J Hum Lact 2004; 28(2): 140-5
- Merewood A, Mehta SD, Chamberlain LB, Philipp BL, Bauchner H. Breastfeeding rates in US Baby-Friendly hospitals: Results of a national survey. Pediatrics 2005; 66(3):628-34
- Chamberlain LB, Merewood A, Malone K, Philipp BP. Calls to an inner-city hospital breastfeeding telephone support line. J Hum Lact 2005; 21(1): 53-58
- Merewood A, Chamberlain LB, Philipp BL, Cook T, Malone K, Bauchner HC. The effect of peer counselors on breastfeeding rates in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit: Results of a randomized controlled trial. Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine, 2006; 160(7): 681-5
- Chamberlain LB, McMahon M, Philipp BL, Merewood A. Breast pump access in the inner-city: A hospital-based initiative to provide breast pumps for low-income women. J Hum Lact, 2006; 22(1): 94-8.
- Merewood A, Brooks D, Bauchner H, MacAuley L, Mehta SD. Maternal birth place and breastfeeding initiation among term and preterm infants: A statewide assessment for Massachusetts. Pediatrics 2006; 18(4) e1048-54.
- Merewood A. Patel B, MacAuley L, Chamberlain LB, Newton KN, Mehta SD. Breastfeeding duration in a US Baby-Friendly hospital. J Hum Lact 2007 23(2): 157-64
- Merewood A. Race, ethnicity, and breastfeeding. Pediatrics 2006; 18(4):1742-3.
- Neault NB, Frank DA, Merewood A, et al. Breastfeeding and health outcomes among citizen infants of immigrant mothers. J Am Diet Assoc 2007; 107(12): 2077-85.
- Galvin S, Grossman X, Feldman-Winter LB, Chaudhuri J, Merewood A. A practical intervention to increase breastfeeding initiation among Cambodian women in the US. Maternal Child Health 2008; 12(4): 545-7.
- Merewood A, Fonrose R, Singleton M, Grossman X, Navidi T, Cook J, Pomales T. From Maine to Mississippi: Hospital distribution of formula sample packs along the eastern seaboard. Arch Ped and Adol Med 2008; 162(9):823-27
- Chapman D, Merewood A, Aackatia-Armah R, Perez-Escamilla R. Breastfeeding status on US birth certificates: Where do we go from here? Pediatrics 2008; 122(6):e1159-63
- Newton KN, Chaudhuri J, Grossman X, Merewood A. Factors associated with exclusive breastfeeding among Latina women giving birth at an inner-city Baby-Friendly Hospital. J Hum Lact. 2009; 25(1):28-33
- Navidi T, Chaudhuri J, Merewood A. Accuracy of breastfeeding data on the Massachusetts birth certificate. J Hum Lact 2009; 25(2):151-6
- Grossman X, Chaudhuri J, Winter LB, Abrams J, Newton KN, Philipp BL, Merewood A. Hospital Education in Lactation Practices (Project HELP): Does clinician education affect breastfeeding initiation and exclusivity in the hospital? Birth 2009; 36(1):54-9
- Merewood A, Mehta SD, Chen T, Bauchner H, Holick MF. Association Between Vitamin D Deficiency and Primary Cesarean Section. J Clin Endocrinol & Metab 2009; 94(3): 940-5
- Merewood A, Mehta SD, Grossman X, Chen TC, Matthieu J, Holick MF, Bauchner HC. Widespread vitamin D deficiency in Massachusetts newborns and their mothers at the time of birth. Pediatrics 2010; 125(4): 640-7
- Merewood A, Grossman X, Cook J, Sadacharan R, Singleton M, Peters, Navidi T. US Hospitals Violate WHO Policy on the Distribution of Formula Sample Packs: Results of a National Survey. J Hum Lact 2010; 26(4) 363-7
- Ogburn T, Espey E, Philipp BL, Merewood A, Espindola D. Assessment of breastfeeding information in general Obstetrics and Gynecology textbooks. J Hum Lact 2010; 27(1); 58-62